How to Request an Embargo
Publications resulting from DOT-funded research receive a 12-month embargo from the date of publication.
The public may petition DOT for increase or decrease of the embargo period. The petition may request an increase or decrease in the embargo period by up to six (6) months.
To request an embargo change:
- Email the National Transportation Library (NTL) at NTLDigitalSubmissions@dot.gov with the subject: "Public Access: Petition for Change to Embargo
- Include the following information in your request:
- - Publication title
- Publication authors
- Research Hub Project ID (if known)
- Funding agreement number (if known)
- Specific embargo change request (increase or decrease, number of months)
- Detailed description of the reason for the embargo request change
What Happens Next
NTL will forward the petition for review to the appropriate Operating Administration (OA) or Secretarial Office.
A decision on the petition will be made within one (1) month of the original request. The requestor will be notified.
If the petition is granted, and would result in immediate release of a publication, NTL will make public within two (2) weeks of the decision to allow for processing time.
Recommended Page Citation
United States. Department of Transportation. (2022). How To Request an Embargo. https://doi.org/10.21949/1520565